Cronulla Clock TowerPrint Page
The clock tower in Cronulla Plaza was a Bicentennial gift to the people of the Sutherland Shire from Caltex Refinery Co. Pty Ltd. The tower houses the oldest public clock in Australia, built by John Jullion of England in 1770 - the year Captain James Cook landed at Kurnell. The clock's original home was Stanwell Place, near Heathrow in England. It is a turret clock with large time and starter weight mechanisms. The weights require re-winding weekly, which is achieved automatically by electric power.
The clock was fully restored and installed in the tower by Douglas Minty, who has been contracted to maintain it by Sutherland Shire Council. The Lions Club of Australia contributes to the cost of the maintenance.
National Parks and Wildlife Services said no to Caltex’s offer to erect the clock at Captain Cook’s Landing Place but the council agreed to to make the Clock Tower the main feature at the northern end of the Cronulla Bicentennial Plaza which was then under construction. After restoration by horologist Doug Minty, the clock was offiicially handed over to the people of Sutherland Shire on November 19, 1988.
|Address:||Kingsway, Cronulla Plaza, Cronulla, 2230|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.051667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1788|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1988|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th November, 1988|
CALTEX REFINING CO.PTY.LTD.
THIS CLOCK TOWER
IS A GIFT TO THE PEOPLE OF SUTHERLAND SHIRE
FROM CALTEX REFINING CO PTY.LTD.
This Tower Houses The Oldest Clock In Australia,
Built By John Jullion Of England In 1770, The Year
Captain Cook Landed At Kurnell. The Clock's Original
Home Was Stanwell Place, Near Heathrow England.
This Project Was Developed By Two Australians:
A Director Of Readymix, UK
Acquired The Clock, And
A Director Of Caltex Australia Limited
Transported It To Australia, Where It
Was Restored By Douglas Minty