Pioneers MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates the pioneers of Edenhope. It was constructed with a foundation stone from the original Edenhope Pub. This first Pub (which is no longer standing) was thought to have been constructed by Chinese stonemasons on their way through Edenhope to the Victorian goldfields. It also features a plough and wheels to represent the agricultural pioneers and a hand water pump in acknowledgement of the urban settlers.
The first European settlers were the Hope family who established the Lake Wallace pastoral station in 1845. The town's name derives from the fact that the Hope`s were from the River Eden in Scotland. A townsite was surveyed and gazetted in 1862. The first Australian cricketing team, an all-Aboriginal squad, trained here in 1868 prior to their departure. Their coach was T.W. Willis who founded Australian Rules football. Closer settlement of the area occurred in the 1930s.
|Address:||Elizabeth & Orme Streets, Outside Old Courthouse, Edenhope, 3318|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.036621|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Kevin & Pearl Summerhayes|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 27th November, 2011|
Edenhope Tourism Inc. wishes to acknowledge that this monumenthas been donated and built by Kevin and Pearl Summerhayes, in recognition of the early pioneers to this area.
Erected in 2011