www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneers MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Pioneers Memorial : 03-November-2011
Pioneers Memorial : 03-November-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Monument commemorates the pioneering families of Naracoorte, some of whom are buried in the Pioneer Park. The site of the park is the former Naracoorte -Kincraig Cemetery. The memorial also contains a plaque commemorating the 50th anniversary of the municipality of Naracoorte.

Naracoorte was formed from the merger of two towns, Kincraig, founded in 1845 by Scottish explorer William Macintosh, and Narracoorte, established as a government settlement in 1847. The name has gone through a number of spellings, and is believed to be derived from the Aboriginal words for place of running water or large waterhole. It grew during the 1850s as a service town for people going to and from the Victorian gold rush.

The railway reached Naracoorte in 1876 and this led to slow and steady growth which led to the town becoming a municipality in 1924.

 

 

Location

Address:Macdonnell Street, Pioneer Park, Naracoorte, 5271
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.955044
Long: 140.737564
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 5th April, 1974
Front Inscription

A tribute to the pioneers of Naracoorte and District ( some of whom lie buried in this park) by Lions Club of Naracoorte on their 10th anniversary April 1974

Back Inscription

Commemorating the 50th anniversary of the corporation of the town of Naracoorte 1924 - 1974

Unveiled by the Hon. G. T. Virgo M.P. Minister of Local Government April 5th 1974

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design