Bankstown City Proclamation (Sir Joseph Banks Statue) Print Page
Statue of Sir Joseph Banks commemorates the 15th anniversary of the proclamation of the city of Bankstown in 1980.
The area was named "Banks' Town" in honour of botanist Sir Joseph Banks, who sailed with Captain Cook on the 'Voyage of Discovery' from 1768 to 1771. Banks had collected botanical and scientific specimens at Botany Bay between 28 April and 6 May 1770. On his return to England, his enthusiasm for the settlement at Botany Bay, combined with his growing stature as a scientist, had considerable bearing on the decision to send the first fleet to Australia.
|Address:||Chapel Road & The Mall, Bankstown, 2200|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.915719|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1980|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1995|
|Monument Designer:||Carl Merton|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 27th May, 1995|
SIR JOSEPH BANKS
THIS STATUE DEPICTS BANKS AT THE TIME OF HIS VISIT TO AUSTRALIA, WHEN HE ACCOMPANIED CAPTAIN JAMES COOK ON THE VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY.
(SCULPTURED BY CARL MERTON)
OFFICIALLY DEDICATED BY
HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR CLR MAX PARKER
ON 27 MAY 1995
THE 15TH ANNIVERSARY OF CITY PROCLAMATION DURING THE
1995 BANKSTOWN COMMUNITY CELEBRATIONS PROGRAMME
IN THE PRESENCE OF COUNCIL.
SOUTH WARD NORTH WARD
EAST WARD WEST WARD