Founders MemorialPrint Page
The memorial was constructed in 1979 to commemorate the founders of Rockingham and previously housed a time capsule which was opened in 2001.
Rockingham got its name from the sailing ship Rockingham one of the three vessels bought by Thomas Peel to carry settlers to Western Australia (the others being the Gilmore and the Hooghly), arriving in May 1830. The Rockingham was blown ashore and eventually abandoned after failed attempts to refloat her. Settlers supposedly camped near the wreck used the name "Rockingham Town" as their address.
Rockingham was first surveyed and lots offered for sale in 1847. However, few lots were sold until the development of a railway and jetty in 1872 to transport jarrah timber and sandalwood from Jarrahdale overseas. Rockingham prospered until the construction of the Inner Harbour of Fremantle in 1897, which caused Rockingham as a timber port to steadily decline.
|Address:||Railway Terrace & Parkin Street, Rockingham, 6168|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.276718|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1979|