150th Anniversary of SettlementPrint Page
A monument commemorates the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of Binda as a village, and past and present residents of Binda and district.
Binda is the oldest settlement in the area. Police were stationed at Binda in 1840 due to the number of bushrangers in the area. They set up a residence, lock-up and horse paddocks on the townsite. The village was gazetted in 1851 and one of NSW's earliest national schools opened here in that year. Until the 1880s it was the main administrative centre of the district. The shire's first post office, government school, courthouse and police station were set up here.
|Address:||Queen & Bishop Streets, Binda, 2583|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.323444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 4th November, 2000|
This stone was unveiled 4th November 2000, to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Proclamation by His Excellency Sir Charles Fitzroy, Governor of New South Wales, of Binda as a Village.
The Binda Recreation Ground and surroundings were planted with trees in memory of past & present residents of Binda and district and their descendants.
Binda Recreation Ground Trust
Binda Progress Association.
The trees on the Binda Recreation Ground and surroundings were given to commemorate these Binda families and their descendants, residents in Binda during the past 150 years.
[ Names ]