Moana Pioneers Memorial HallPrint Page
The Moana Pioneers Memorial Hall commemorates the pioneers of Moana.
Moana was originally farming land from 1841. In the 1850s a local landowner lent his name to the beach and it became known as Dodd's Beach. In 1855, when shipping was the primary means of cargo transport in the area, the Nashwauk was wrecked on the beach near the Pedler Creek outlet.
Due to an increased interest in tourism in the area, in 1927 the land was subdivided by Lake Beach Estate Ltd who held a competition to name the new town. Mr C.H. Cave won the competition with Moana, which means "blue water" in the Māori language. The land was divided into blocks of land suitable for holiday homes and wide streets were planned and laid out, but due to the Great Depression in 1929 development of the area was slow. In the 1950s Moana experienced renewed interest from tourism as the residents of Adelaide enjoyed the freedom and mobility of car ownership - Moana was a pleasant 40 minute drive from Adelaide.
|Address:||Griffith Drive & Nashwauk Crescent, Moana, 5169|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.19802|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Moana Pioneers Memorial Hall