Pioneers of OlleraPrint Page
Stained glass windows commemorate the pioneers of Ollera.
In 1838 John and George Everett had taken up the Ollera run. Ollera became essentially a semi-autonomous village with its own bakery, post office, store, bank, school (1862) and church. Masons, journeymen, farriers, shepherds, jobbers, stockmen, sheep shearers, carpenters and their families were all resident employees with their own houses. There was a medical fund and an amateur theatrical group. A cricket pitch (still in use) had been established by 1862 and it was the venue for a match with a touring English team in 1885. A wool scouring works was set up in 1895.
In 1876-77 St Bartholomew’s Church, was built on Ollera Rd, Wandsworth for use by both the Anglican, and Presbyterian religions, on land which had been donated by Ollera Station. This church and Ollera Station have now been listed on the Register of the National Estate.
|Address:||Tenterden & Ollera Roads, St Bartholomew`s Church, Ollera Station, Wandsworth, 2365|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.115992|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.