Pioneer PlaquesPrint Page
A series of twelve plaques commemorates the early pioneers of Charters Towers and recognises their contribution to the development of the region. The plaques were unveiled during the 125th year celebrations.
Some of the plaques included are:
John McDonald: First mayor of the municpality of Charters Towers from 1877 to 1878.
Thadeus O`Kane: Devoted his life to improving the conditions on the goldfield as editor and owner of "The Northern Miner" newspaper - the largest and most influential daily outside of Brisbane in the 1880's
Sir Thomas Buckland: The goldfield`s first assayer who developed extensive business interests in the beef and mining industries. He went on to become Chairman of the Bank of New South Wales.
Jupiter Mosman: This 10 year old Aboriginal horse boy who revealed to the party of Mosman, Clarke and Fraser the first gold found at the base of Towers Hill
Edward David Miles: The leading Mining Agent and Stockbroker of the goldfield. At one time he was the director of 27 mining companies and was an active participant in the town's affairs.
Hugh Mosman, George Clarke, James Fraser: Prospecting party who registered the first claim leading to the establishment of the goldfields of Charters Towers.
Ludwig Leichhardt: First explorer to record the suitability of the region for the future development of its pastoral and geological resources.
Isidore Lissner: A German immigrant store keeper who rose to prominence as an influential politician serving the goldfield from 1883 to 1893.
Sisters of Mercy: First providers of secondary schooling on the goldfield; their efforts enhanced social and educational opportunities contributing to the development of Charters Towers as the educational centre of the north.
|Address:||Mosman Street, George Foy Park, Charters Towers, 4820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.075597|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th May, 1997|
Pioneer Plaques Project
The Pioneer Plaques Project was an initiative of 125 Year Celebrations Committee in conjunction with the Charters Towers City Council. The first series of 12 plaques in the pavement along Mosman Street recognises the contribution of the city`s early pioneers towards the development of the region.
The City acknowledges the assistance of the following donors who contributed towards the success of the project.
(List of Donors )
The initial series of Pioneer Plaques were officially opened on 24 May 1997 by the Mayor of Charters Towers Cr. Brian Beveridge
Charters Towers City Council 125 Year Celebrations Committee