Hastings Valley PioneersPrint Page
Gates erected in 1959 as a tribute to the pioneers of the Hastings Valley .
In 1828 a number of land grants were made along the Hastings River but it wasn't until 1836 that the village of Wauchope came into existence. In that year Captain Robert Andrew Wauch (he had dropped 'ope' from the end of his name as a result of a family dispute) paid a deposit on 760 acres on King Creek. He called this property 'Wauchope' and it was on this property that the town would eventually develop.Progress in the valley was slow. Droughts and floods in the 1840s drove many farmers from their lands. Captain Wauch was ruined by the Depression that followed.
Wauchope's economy has always been primarily based on the timber industry. At different stages, the railway station shipped more timber than any other town in Australia.
|Address:||Oxley Highway, Showground, Wauchope, 2446|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.458333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1959|