Pioneers MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates the pioneers of Grenfell.
The memorial erected to the pioneers was unveiled by Mr. Arthur Grimm, M.L.A., in the presence of a large concourse of people, amongst whom were many visitors and many old pioneers and their descendants. It is noteworthy that the memorial was unveiled in an unfinished state, owing to being delayed in transit on the railway. The unveiling in an unfinished state recalls to us that we must still carry on the work which the pioneers so nobly started, and build on the foundations which they so truly laid.
The Grenfell Record and Lachlan District Advertiser (NSW), 20 March 1924.
|Address:||Weddin & Middle Streets, Taylor Park , Grenfell, 2810|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.896023|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 18th March, 1924|
Grenfell Was Made A Municipality In May 1883
Comprising 346 acres.
The First Mayor Was Ralph Halls Esq,
J. D. Campbell, Town Clerk.
ERECTED By "Back to Grenfell" Committee 18-3-1924.
J. M. Durning, Mayor
The first wheat was grown by J. B. Wood.
The first wheat for sale was from 10 acres grown by W. Graham of Quondong ploughed and sown by W. NEalon in 1871.
Since then the greatest yield in a year within the Weddin Shire was 3,300,000 bushels.
The first land taken up was by J. B. Wood, Esq who took upo Brundam pastoral holding in 1833, on Cowra Road, eight miles from Grenfell.
Since then 756,000 bales of wool have been grown in the Weddin Shire.