Nyngan Centenary FountainPrint Page
Fountain commemorates Nyngan's centenary.
The first recorded visit by Europeans to the Bogan River was by a party led by Major Thomas Mitchell, who set off from Parramatta on March 9, 1835. On May 10, 1835 Mitchell arrive in what was then known as Nyingen (Nyngan). He described this spot as a 'long pond with many birds, ducks and brolgas'.
Eleven years later in 1846, Major Mitchell returned to what he called Nyingen, only to find burnt relics of the previous settlement. At this time Canonba, a small village on Duck Creek some 30 kilometres north of Nyngan, was a thriving village but declined following the completion of the railway line to Nyngan in 1883.
The Municipality of Nyngan was proclaimed on February 17, 1891 with Nyngan having a population of 1355, and in 1906 the Bogan Shire was incorporated. The Bogan Shire Council and the Nyngan Municipal Council amalgamated with each other 1972.
In 1983, Nyngan celebrated its centenary year with the unveiling of the Centenary Fountain.
|Address:||Pangee Street, Nyngan, 2825|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.563593|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1983|
NYNGAN CENTENARY FOUNTAIN
1883 - 1983