Fraser Avenue TreesPrint Page
The lemon-scented gums lining Fraser Avenue from the main entrance to the restaurant precinct were planted in 1937 and each tree has a memorial plaque to prominent Western Australian citizens commemorated in 1929, the centenary of colonial establishment.
A notable array of lemon-scented eucalypis is set on each side of Fraser-avenue leading from the vicinity of the State war memorial in King's Park to the main entrance. Planted in 1937-38, they should eventually attain a height of 100ft. In the early part of this century the avenue was flanked by red-flowered eucalypts.
To mark the State's centenary in 1929 the number of these was doubled and at the foot of each was set a plaque bearing the name of a member of the committee organising the centennial observance. Disease, however, caused the uprooting of all these trees except an immune group near the rotunda tearoom and the now-flourishing lemon-scented gums took their place 12 years ago.
The West Australian (Perth ) , 17th December 1949.
|Address:||Fraser Avenue, Kings Park , 6005|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.956944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.