www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Townsville Centenary MonumentPrint Page Print this page

Townsville Centenary Monument
Townsville Centenary Monument

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
A monument commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the settlement of Townsville.

The Burdekin River's seasonal flooding made the establishment of a seaport north of the river essential to the nascent inland cattle industry. John Melton Black of Woodstock Station, an employee of Sydney entrepreneur and businessman Robert Towns, dispatched Andrew Ball, Mark Watt Reid and a small party of aborigines to search for a suitable site.Ball's party reached the Ross Creek in April 1864 and established a camp below the rocky spur of Melton Hill, near the present Customs House on The Strand. The first party of settlers, led by W.A. Ross, arrived at Cleveland Bay from Woodstock Station on 5 November of that year. In 1866 Robert Towns visited for three days, his first and only visit. He agreed to provide ongoing financial assistance to the new settlement and Townsville was named in his honour.

Location

Address:The Strand, ANZAC Park, Townsville, 4810
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -19.255278
Long: 146.822778
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1864
Approx. Event End Date:1964

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 1st November, 1964
Front Inscription

Plaque 1 :
This Plaque Commemorates
The One Hundredth
Anniversary Of Settlement
In Townsville, And Honours
The Four Whose Exertions
Gave Birth To Our City.
ROBERT TOWNS
The Man Of Enterprise
ANDREW BALL And
MARK WATT REID
The Explorers
JOHN MELTON BLACK
The Pioneer

1864 - 1964

Plaque 2: 
Unveiled By
His Excellency
The Governor of Queensland
Sir Henry Abel Smith
KCMG, KCVO, DSO
On Anniversary Day
1st November, 1964

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design