www.monumentaustralia.org.au

History of Cotton MuralPrint Page Print this page

Detail: 14-March-2016
Detail: 14-March-2016

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
The History of Cotton Mural was painted to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the town of St. George.  

The Cotton Mural was sponsored by the St George Cotton Growers Association and depicts the history of the local cotton industry. The mural features the Jack Taylor Weir as the vital component in the beginnings of the St George cotton industry.

St George was named by explorer Sir Thomas Mitchell when he discovered the river crossing on St George’s Day (April 23), 1846. 

Location

Address:Balonne & Victoria Streets, Ambulance Station, St George, 4487
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.033888
Long: 148.585959
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Art
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1846
Approx. Event End Date:1996
Monument Designer:Kevin Taylor

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1996
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design