First Settlement Memorial WallPrint Page
A monument commemorates the first settlement at Redcliffe in 1824.
A decision was made in June of 1824 to form a settlement at Moreton Bay and on 1 September 1824 the Amity left Sydney to transport convicts and soldiers to the new settlement. It arrived at Moreton Bay on 12 September and the settlers landed at Redcliffe Point two days later. In the party were Surveyor General John Oxley, King's Botanist Allan Cunningham, Assistant Surveyor Robert Hoddle, Commandant Lt, Miller of the 40th Regiment of Foot, his wife and son Henry who acted as clerk for his father, Lt Butler, a sergeant, a corporal and 18 privates of the 40th Regiment of Foot, ten wives and eight children and Store Keeper/Surgeon Walter Scott.
Some of the 29 convicts were volunteers who hoped to be rewarded with ' a ticket of leave ' for their efforts. The Settlement was established between Humpybong Creek, Anzac Avenue and the beachfront. Built with 50 tonnes of bluestones to a design representing the sails of the Amity, the Wall was opened in September 1991.
The monument also honours the first inhabitants the Ningy Ningy clan of the Undambi tribe.
|Address:||Prince Edward Parade, Rotary Park , Redcliffe, 4020|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.224722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||September-1991|
THE FIRST SETTLEMENT MEMORIAL WALL
ON THE 12th SEPTEMBER, 1824 THE BRIG
"AMITY" ANCHORED EAST OF THIS POINT AND
DISCHARGED THE FIRST WHITE SETTLERS
TO SET FOOT IN QUEENSLAND.
THIS MEMORIAL TELLS THE STORY
OF THAT HISTORIC OCCASION.
THE SHAPE OF THE BLUESTONE WALL
SYMBOLISES THE SAILS OF THE AMITY.
THE TWO PLAQUES ON THE LANDWARD SIDE
OF THE MEMORIAL DEPICT THE AMITY AND
THE LOCATION OF THE VARIOUS FACILITIES
ASSOCIATED WITH THAT SETTLEMENT.
THE TWO PLAQUES ON THE SEAWARD SIDE
OF THE MEMORIAL LIST THE NAMES OF
THE SOLDEIRS, THE WIVES AND CHILDREN,
AND OF THE CONVICTS WHO CAME ASHORE ON
THE PROJECT WAS FUNDED BY