www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Moore Pioneers Print Page Print this page

Moore Pioneers
Moore Pioneers

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
A monument commemorates the pioneers of the district. 

In 1900 a Royal Commission was appointed to investigate the possible route for a railway in the area, taking evidence at Esk, `Cressbrook`, `Colinton` and `Stonehouse`, which were the coach stops. `Colinton` was cut up and sold around this time, bringing in many new settlers and `Stonehouse` acted as a provision store and butcher`s shop for them. A small township was surveyed at Moore, named for the then owners of `Colinton`, gaining a postal receiving office in 1903 and a post office in 1905. In 1910 a railway station opened at Moore.

Location

Address:D`Aguilar Highway, Moore, 4306
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.893889
Long: 152.290556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1988
Front Inscription
               Australia
             1788-1988

         Our Pioneers
They came to this place of Mountains and Streams;
The Aboriginals before and later White Settlers
who travelled the road via Colinton Hut,
Bob William's Stonehouse and across the Blackbutt.
     They came; they departed;
         We remember them.
An Australian Bicentennial Project with financial
assistance from the Queensland Government.
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design