Crystal TrumpetersPrint Page
The Crystal Trumpeter's Sculpture was erected as a Bicentennial Project in 1988 and tells the Biblical story of the Israelites who marched around the walls of Jericho for six days then blew their trumpets on the seventh day and watched as the city walls collapsed. The plaque provides a link to the Old Testament story in Joshua: 6; the Biblical theme recalls the decision of Willoughby Hannam, railway surveyor to 'name a favourable spot for a temporary station' on Jordan Creek, Jericho.
The crystals symbolise various moments in the Old Testament including the slavery in Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, the receiving of the Ten Commandments, the crossing of the River Jordan and the arrival in the Promised Land.
The Australian Bicentenary in 1988 was marked by huge pomp and ceremony across Australia to mark anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet of British ships at Sydney in 1788. The Australian Bicentennial Authority (ABA), pursuant to the Australian Bicentennial Authority Act 1980, was set up to plan, fund and coordinate projects that emphasized the nation's cultural heritage.
|Address:||Capricorn Highway, Jericho, 4728|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.601984|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Peggy Westmoreland|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||September-1989|