Immigrants Remembrance WallPrint Page
The Immigrants Remembrance Wall is an historical record of Italian family names in the region. The new memorial replaces the original Settlers Wall.
The original Alpini Memorial and Immigration Settlers Wall stood in the grounds of the former International Club and Christian Outreach Centre in Ingham and was unveiled on the 24th January 1987.
The 1890s saw the first wave of Italian immigrants arrive in the Hinchinbrook district. The first group of Italian migrants arrived in Townsville in 1891 and, after having settled in the Ingham district, most sent home for family and friends. With the deporting of the indentured Kanaka labourers, more immigrants, particularly from northern Italy, were encouraged to come to the northern cane fields as canecutters. Conditions for the canecutters improved greatly, and workers` salaries increased to a rate much higher than that which the indentured Kanakas had experienced. The pattern of Italian immigration was established, and to this day, more than half the population of the Hinchinbrook Shire are of Italian descent.
|Address:||Jane & McIlwraith Streets, Ingham Botanical Gardens, Ingham, 4850|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -18.652106|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd August, 2014|
Alpini Monument and Remembrance Wall
This Alpini Monument and Remembrance Wall was relocated and established at this site through funding assistance provided by the Queensland Government.
This plaque was unveiled by
The Honourable Andrew Cripps MP
Member for Hinchinbrook
Minister for Natural Resources and Mines
on 3 August 2014