Pioneers of Harrisville & Robert DunnPrint Page
A monument commemorates the pioneers of Harrisville and Robert Dunn who purchased land where Harrisville now stands.
Harrisville was established in the early 1860s, when the Queensland Government began to encourage settlement in country areas. As one of these initiatives, Ipswich Agricultural Reserve was established around Warrill and Warroolaba Creeks. In this reserve, land was surveyed into small blocks and made available for settlers. The land was fertile and by 1864, there were already 27 thriving farms. More were growing cotton, taking advantage of a world-wide shortage during the American Civil War.
Other crops were oats, maize, potatoes and tobacco. In 1870, merchants George and John Harris bought land from early settler Robert Dunn and established a store and a cotton gin (a machine to separate seed from cotton). The property was sold to Cribb and Foote in 1873.
|Address:||Queen Street, Memorial Park, Harrisville, 4307|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.811389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th October, 1963|
This Cairn Was Raised To The Pioneers Of Harrisville & District And Robert Dunn Who Purchased The land Where Harrisville Now Stands on January 8th 1863.
Unveiled On October 19th 1963 By The Honourable J.C.A Pizzey M.L.A Minister for Education .