www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dixalea PioneersPrint Page Print this page

Dixalea Pioneers
Dixalea Pioneers
Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
Monument dedicated to pioneer settlers of Dixalea.

The area known as "Dixalea" bounded by Alma Creek on the north and the Don River on the south, was first to be named Dixie after the great cotton fields in America. Dixie was not accepted - so the more colourful name "Dixalea" was chosen. 

Many settlers in the area came from Lancashire (U.K.). They were influenced to grow cotton for the Lancashire cotton mills. The soil was fertile, the blocks were 160 acres but the idea was only a dream. Early names of these Lancashire settlers were Curry, Smith, Denham, Harrison. Saudy, Cotton and Hunt. They had to walk four miles to Box Camp Lagoon for household water. In 1920, other settlers Paddy Lanigan and Arthur West settled on Box Camp Lagoon. 

 

Location

Address:Burnett Highway, Dixalea, 4716
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -23.943611
Long: 150.2825
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Front Inscription
DEDICATED TO THE
    PIONEERS
OF DIXALEA
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design