"The Crossing" ObeliskPrint Page
The memorial commemorates the first settlement of the area. Known as "The Crossing " it pays tribute to Henry Dennis and other pioneers, teamsters and settlers. It was here that a camp was established on what would eventually become the township of Dalby by Henry Dennis, who was seeking out land on behalf of his wealthy employer Charles Coxen.
|Address:||Edward & Myall Streets, Dalby, 4405|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.189535|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THE CROSSING SO NAMED BY EARLY TRAVELLERS BECAUSE NEAR HERE WAS THE CROSSING PLACE AT MYALL CREEK - IT THEN BEING ON THE ONLY TRACK AVAILABLE TO TRAVELLERS TO AND FROM THE FEW PASTORAL HOLDINGS LYING TO THE WESTWARD. THE FIRST KNOWN WHITE MAN TO PASS THIS WAY WAS HENRY DENNIS. HE CAMPED ABOUT THIS SPOT IN 1841. AFTER THAT TIME THE CROSSING BECAME A WELL KNOWN RENDEZVOUS FOR SQUATTERS, STOCKMEN, SHEARERS, FENCERS. TEAMSTERS AND OTHER GRAND OLD PIONEERS OF THOSE DAYS.