Clermont Steam Traction EnginePrint Page
The Clermont Steam Traction Engine originally was placed in Centenary Park in commemoration of the engine which moved the town to new site after the disasterous flood of 1916. The engine was moved under its own steam to the Clermont Historical Centre and Museum.
Following the flood that virtually destroyed Clermont in December 1916, the people of Clermont voted to move the town to higher ground. Each building was raised on jacks and timber rails laid underneath it and for about one hundred metres ahead. A steam traction engine then winched the building slowly along the track. When it came to the end of the track, the rails were collected and laid down in front for another hundred metres.
|Address:||Peak Downs Highway, Clermont Historical Centre & Museum, Clermont, 4721|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -22.798703|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.