www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary Of BeaudesertPrint Page Print this page

Centenary of Beaudesert Plaque
Centenary of Beaudesert Plaque
Photographs supplied by Diane Watson
A plaque commemorates the centenary of Beaudesert.

The town was named after Beau Desert station which was established in the area in 1842 and named after Beau Desert Park in Staffordshire. The area had been explored in the late 1820s by both Allan Cunningham and Patrick Logan after whom the nearby river is named. The large landholdings which were taken up in the early 1840s remained until the 1860s when they were broken up. This led to a change from sheep grazing to cattle and a growth in the density of a settlement which became known as Beaudesert which was proclaimed a town in 1874. By the time the railway arrived in 1888 the town had grown due to its proximity to Brisbane.

Location

Address:Brisbane Street, Outside Shire Offices- on bus shelter, Beaudesert, 4285
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.987222
Long: 152.995556
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:1874
Actual Event End Date:1974

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th October, 1974
Front Inscription
         To Commemorate
THE CENTENARY OF BEAUDESERT
              1874-1974
Unveiled 12th October 1974
                    By
The Hon. J. Bjelke-Petersen M.L.A.
       Premier of Queensland
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design