Pine Creek Centenary Print Page
A series of fifty plaques and trees are scattered through Pine Creek celebrating the community's centenary. A weeping paperback and plaque is situated at the Pine Creek School as part of the centenary unveilings.
During construction of the Overland Telegraph line from Adelaide to Darwin in 1870, workers first crossed a creek that was notable for the pine trees that grew on its banks. In 1871 workers digging holes for the telegraph line found gold in the soil, triggering another Australian gold rush. The town grew rapidly with the influx of miners, many of whom were Chinese immigrants brought into the Territory from 1874 as a source of cheap labour. By 1873, a telegraph repeater station and police camp had been established. By 1875 there were two hotels, The Royal Mail and The Standard, competing for business. A public school opened in the town in 1899. By the 1890s, up to 15 mines were operating in the area, and the town's population exceeded 3000 people.
|Address:||Millar Terrace , Pine Creek School, Pine Creek, 0847|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -13.821656|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1899|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1999|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1999|