Establishment of WestburyPrint Page
Monument and plaque from the Westbury Council in England commemorates the 150th anniversary of the establishment of Westbury.
Westbury came into existence in the early 1820s. It was surveyed in 1823 and by 1828 Governor Arthur ordered that the townsite be laid out with a view to Westbury becoming a major stopover point on the route from Hobart to the northwest coast which, at the time, was being opened up by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The scale of the survey was such that it is clear there were plans for Westbury to become a city.
By 1832 Lieutenant Ball and a detachment of troops were stationed near the Village Green. Four years later the town's population comprised 227 free men and women and 317 convicts.
|Address:||Lonsdale Promenade, Westbury Common Green , Westbury, 7303|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.528059|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1823|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1973|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||July-1973|
From Westbury Urban District Council, Wiltshire, England, to the Municipality of Westbury, Tasmania to commemorate the 150th anniversary of its establishment. July 1973