Port Arthur SettlementPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the founding of Port Arthur and the closing of the settlement.
Port Arthur Penal Settlement was named in honour of Lieutenant Governor George Arthur, and began in 1830 as a punishment-oriented timber station. With the progressive addition of further industries, tailored for heavy and light labour, Port Arthur held a key position within the colony's judicial system until its closure in 1877.
Replacing Macquarie Harbour and Maria Island as the primary source of secondary punishment, Port Arthur's 47-year operation was due largely to its geographical isolation and the availability of natural resources. Chief among these was timber, and harvesting was carried out until the 1870s. Scattered outcrops of sandstone and dolerite provided other materials for construction, tracts of land stretching back from the cove providing agricultural and farming land for supplementing rations.
|Address:||Champ Street, Port Arthur, 7182|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -43.147307|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 2nd October, 1977|
TO COMMEMORATE THE FOUNDING OF PORT ARTHUR, NAMED IN HONOUR OF HIS EXCELLENCY COLONEL GEORGE ARTHUR
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF VAN DIEMEN'S LAND IN SEPTEMBER, 1830 AND THE CLOSING OF THE SETTLEMENT, SEPTEMBER 1877.
UNVEILED BY HIS EXCELLENCY THE HON. SIR STANLEY BURBURY K.C.V.O, K.B.E., GOVERNOR OF TASMANIA
2ND OCTOBER, 1977.