Big PenguinPrint Page
The Big Penguin was erected by Centenary Celebrations Committee as a monument to the proclamation of town of Penguin and also as a tourist attraction. The town was named after the fairy penguin by Ronald C Gunn, a botanist.
|Address:||Scenic Drive, Penguin, 7316|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.113382|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Goliath Cement Company|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th October, 1975|
The Penguin area was first settled in 1861 by Edward Joseph Beecroft. Penguin took its name from the Fairy Penguin and was so named by Ronald C Gunn a distinguished botanist of the era. The municipality was established in 1908 (area 43185 Ha).
The fibro cement penguin nearby was erected to celebrate the centenary of the proclamation of the Penguin township on the 25th October 1975.
Population 1975 - Municipality 5000 - Penguin 3000.