Pioneer Memorial WallsPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland

Walls commemorate the early settlers of the district.

A dedication of the Pioneer Memorial Walls at Stephen St Cemetery in New Norfolk by Archdeacon Neil Vearing will take place this Saturday. The ceremony will be held at 2pm.
The Gazette, 28th June 2006


Address:Stephen Street, Anglican Cemetery, New Norfolk, 7140
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.781009
Long: 147.065974
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st July, 2006
Front Inscription

St Mathew`s Church of England
Stephen Street Cemetery

The original section of the present St Mathew`s Church was built in 1824 as a school room and church.  It is Tasmania`s oldest church.

The first burial at this cemetery was that of John Ratcliffe on 29th March 1823 on land which was laid out as a burial site and consecrated by the Reverend Samuel Marsden.

Over the next 60 years there were more than 1950 burials here with many in multiple graves.  These graves contain people of all denominations and status : prominent citizens, free settlers, children, convicts, inmates of the nearby asylum and paupers.

Their names are recorded on the two memorial walls

"They live whom we call dead"


Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design