First Fleet & Norfolk Islanders Memorial Print Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

Memorial commemorates the First Fleeters and Norfolk Islanders who came to Tasmania during the evacuation of Norfolk Island between 1807 and 1813. The memorial was unveiled to mark the 185th anniversary of the arrival in the Derwent River of the HMS Lady Nelson with settlers from Norfolk Island.


Address:Davey Street, St Davids Park, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.886136
Long: 147.328594
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Monument Designer:Willy Monaghan
Monument Manufacturer:Tasmanian Fellowship of First Fleeters and Norfolk Islanders


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 29th November, 1992
Front Inscription

Memorial to the First Fleeters and Norfolk Islanders who came to Van Diemen's Land during the evacuation 1807 - 1813.

Management Committee
President : Mr Edward Lucas
Vice President : Mr John Evans
Secretary / Treasurer Mrs Iris Millicent Beer
Associates  Marine Redcoats

Building Committee
Mr. Geoff Breaden  Mr. Ronald Brooks  Mr. Peter Farmer  Mrs Lynette King  Mrs Linda Lucas  Mr. Neville Lucas  Mrs Betty Duggan

Archivists :
Miss Dulcie Lucas  Mrs Joyce Purtscher  Mr. Norman Nicholas

Stonemason :

Willy Monaghan

This memorial was dedicated by the Very Rev`d Kenneth N. Reardon, Dean of Hobart, in the presence of the Premier of Tasmania, the Hon. Ray Groom M.H.A., the Rt. Hon. Alderman Doone Kennedy, Lord Mayor of Hobart, Rt. Rev`d P. K. Newell, Bishop of Tasmania, Rev. Father T. Southerwood, P.P and Rabbi John S. Levi, A.M. D.D, M.A.H.L, M.A., Dip. Ed.

"There be some of them that have left a name behind them that their praises might be reported, and some there be which have no memorial, who are perished as they had never been.  Their bodies are buried in peace" Ecclesiasticus XLiV.

This contains a time capsule to be opened in year 2192

Left Side Inscription

"Lady Nelson"
Sailed Norfolk Is. 20. 1. 1813 Arrived Port Dalrymple 1.3. 1813  Master : B. Overand
[ Names ]

Sailed Norfolk Is. 18. 2. 1813 Arrived Port Dalrymple 4.3. 1813  Master : John Reed
​[ Names ]

"City of Edinburgh" 
Sailed Norfolk Is. 3. 9. 1808 Arrived Derwent R. 2. 10. 1808  Master : Simeon Patterson
​[ Names ]

Back Inscription

"City of Edinburgh" 
Sailed Norfolk Is. 3. 9. 1808 Arrived Derwent R. 2. 10. 1808  Master : Simeon Patterson
​[ Names ]

Other First Fleeters and Norfolk Islanders (First Settlement) found to date who came to Van Diemen`s Land
[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

"Lady Nelson" 
Sailed Norfolk Is.14. 2. 1808 Arrived Derwent R. 1. 3. 1808  Master : Lt. Kent R. N.
​[ Names ]

Sailed Norfolk Is. 15. 5. 1808 Arrived Derwent R. 7. 6. 1808  Master : Lt. Oxley
​[ Names ]

Sailed Norfolk Is. 25. 12. 1807 Arrived Derwent R. 17. 1. 1808  Master : Lt. Symmons R.N.
​[ Names ]

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design