150 Years of European SettlementPrint Page Print this page

20-October-2007 (Kent Watson)
20-October-2007 (Kent Watson)

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates 150 years of European Settlement in Hobart.

The first European settlement in the Hobart area began in 1803 as a penal colony and a defensive outpost at Risdon Cove, officially named Hobart on the eastern shores of the Derwent River. This was undertaken under British concerns over the presence of French explorers in the South Pacific.  It began as a collection of tents and huts, with a population of 178 convicts, 25 marines, 15 women, 21 children, 13 free settlers and 10 civil officers.

In 1804 the settlement was moved was moved to a better location which was named "Hobart's Town" at the present site of Hobart at Sullivans Cove, making it the second oldest city in Australia.



Address:Hunter Street, Hobart, 7000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -42.881761
Long: 147.335538
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:19-February-1804
Actual Event End Date:19-February-1954


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 20th February, 1954
Front Inscription

1804   1954

This memorial erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the foundation of Hobart was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second on 20th February 1954.

Persons victualled at Port Phillip and/or the River Derwent 17th October 1803 to 31st December, 1804.  Recorded by Lieutenant Colonel David Collins Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land  [ Names ]

Hobart Town (1804) First Settlers Association 20th February 2004.

This memorial stands on the traditional land of the Mouheneenner people the original custodians of this site.

Back Inscription

Lieut-Colonel David Collins Royal Marines, as Lieut-Governor was commissioned in 1803 by Lord Hobart, Secretary of State, to establish a settlement at Port Phillip in the territory of New South Wales, under the direction of Governor Philip Gidley King.

Lt-Col Collins removed the settlement to the Derwent and landed at Risdon Cove on February 16, 1804.  Then he chose a suitable site at Sullivan Cove.  There H. M. Brig. the "Lady Nelson" and the "Ocean" anchored on February 19,1804 near this spot, on Hunter Island.  Lt-Col. Collins went ashore and founded Hobart

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design