Settlers Memorial PlaquePrint Page
A plaque is attached to the Avoca War Memorial Gates which commemorates 150 years of settlement of Avoca.
Located on the banks of the South Esk River it was originally named `St Paul`s Plains` by John Helder Wedge who surveyed the area in 1833. The area was first explored and settled by Europeans in the 1820s but it wasn`t until the 1830s, when convict probation stations were established at Avoca, Fingal, St Marys and Falmouth, that roads and bridges were built.
The ready supply of cheap labour from the probation stations probably had much to do with opening up of the area. The official settlement and establishment of the town occurred in 1834. Its economic reason for existence was a mixture of farming and the mining of coal and tin. Only the farming exists today.
|Address:||Esk Highway, Boucher Memorial Park, Avoca, 7213|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.782564|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 18th March, 1984|
TO COMMEMORATE THE 150th YEAR OF SETTLEMENT OF THE AVOCA DISTRICT 1834 - 1984.
UNVEILED ON THE 18th DAY OF MARCH 1984 BY HIS EXCELLENCY SIR JAMES PLIMSOLL AC. CBE. GOVERNOR OF TASMANIA