Hay River Farm CairnPrint Page
Cairn marks the site of the first farm in Plantagenet County.
In 1835 Sir Richard Spencer, the Government Resident at Albany, sought fertile land near a river. He was concerned with stock lossed at Strawberry Hill, the first farm in the Albany area, and he decided a second property was necessary to ensure future production. The location he chose was part of Captain Stirling's grant so he bought 1940 acres from Stirling and established the first farm on the Hay River. The venture was an immediate success.
Plantagenet County was one of the twenty six counties of Western Australia that was designated in 1829. It is part of the cadastral divisions of Australia. It contains the city of Albany. The counties were used throughout the South western region of Western Australia, however they did not cover the whole state.
|Address:||Spencer Road, Narrikup, 6326|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.753056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.