Narembeen Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Memorial erected in memory of the pioneers of the district.
In the 1850s European settlers arrived in the area looking for pastoral land for wheat and grazing. Sandlewood cutters also frequented the area during this time. A settler named Charles Smith bought a property he called Narimbeen. By the 1900s more farmers moved to the area as land was opened upand by 1918 the town-site of Emu Hill was gazetted.
In 1920, the town-site of Narembeen only existed as a minor railway siding to the railway line that had only just been built to Emu Hill. By the 1920s Emu Hill was the largest community in the region but the local populace opposed the building of a hotel in the town. As a result of this a Perth lawyer, Henry Dale and a Publican, Paddy Conlon, purchased 30 acres of land at the railway siding of Narembeen to build a hotel. The town of Narembeen was established in 1922 about 5 km from the Emu hill town-site.
|Address:||Brown & Currall Streets, Machinery Museum, Narembeen, 6369|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.058889|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Narembeen Shire Council|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1974|