Pilbara Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Memorial commemorates the pioneers of the Pilbara region and was erected on the centenary of Marble Bar. It also honours Lang Hancock who discovered the Pilbara iron ore fields.
Marble Bar sprung up as part of the gold rushes to the Pilbara in the late 1880s. Gold was actually discovered near Marble Bar in 1891 by Francis Jenkins and two years later the settlement was officially declared a town.
|Address:||Francis Street, Marble Bar, 6760|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -21.172285|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 13th July, 1993|
Memorial to the Graves Of The Pilbara Pioneers./ This Memorial was erected on 13th July, 1993 on the occasion of the Centenary of Marble Bar. The plaques contained on these walls recognise those who pioneered or worked for the development of the Pilbara. The actual graves are located on roadsides, river banks, Homesteads and in many lonely and isolated places throughout the region. The Men, Women and children named in this Memorial are only a small number of those who suffered human hardship and soul destroying conditions in order to open up the riches of the vast Pilbara region. We honour them and all who toiled with them down through the decades with this Centenary Memorial.
A LIFES WORK NOBLY DONE OFTEN WITHOUT REWARD
(Top Plaque) ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
THE RESEARCH AND LOCATION OF GRAVES
REPRESENTED ON THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNDERTAKEN
BY MR LEN LEVER OF MARBLE BAR.
HIS DETERMINATION AND GENEROUS FINANCIAL
SUPPORT HAS ASSISTED GREATLY TOWARD
THE COMPLETION OF THE PROJECT IN
THE CENTENARY YEAR OF THE TOWN
(Bottom Plaque) ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THIS MEMORIAL WAS MADE POSSIBLE BY THE GENEROUS SUPPORT OF Mrs GEORGINA RINEHART AND HANCOCK PROSPECTING PTY. LTD. IN HONOUR OF LANGLEY GEORGE HANCOCK HIS VISION AND TENACIOUS ENERGY DISCOVERED THE PILBARA IRON ORE FIELDS WHICH ARE RECOGNISED AS ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF THE STATE AND AUSTRALIA.