Peel Memorial WellPrint Page
Erected by Mandurah Progress Association and funded by public subscriptions, the well/monument commemorates the arrival in 1829 of Thomas Peel and his pioneer settlers, who arrived on the Gilmore (1829), the Hooghly (1830) and the Rockingham (1830).
Peel was an influential figure pushing for the establishment of the Swan River Colony, and his name is indelibly linked with both the Murray and Mandurah districts. He was a key person in the foundation of Mandurah, having originally controlled | much of the land in the Murray District. Financed by a merchant, Solomon Levey, he brought out a number of skilled workmen to the Colony. Peel and his son, Thomas Junior, leased and pioneered farmland between Mandurah and Serpentine. A controversial character, Thomas Peel had many critics but his strong and independent personality dominated the Mandurah region in its first 35 years. He died on 21 December 1865.
|Address:||Mandurah Terrace & Pinjarra Road, Mandurah, 6210|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.534722|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th December, 1955|
Thomas Peel and his pioneer settlers arrived in the ship GILMORE December 15th 1829. He settled at Mandurah by 1834. The centre of his estate of 250,000 acres granted to him by virtue of his capital expenditure and his introduction of immigrants who arrived in the ships GILMORE 1829. ROCKINGHAM 1830. HOOGHLY 1830. Died December 21st 1865. he rests in the local church yard.
Erected by Mandurah Progress Association with Public Subscriptions
Unveiled by the Hon. Lionel F.Kelly Minister for Tourist Dec. 11th 1955