Grass Patch Pioneer MemorialPrint Page
Grass Patch Pioneer Memorial was erected in memory of the pioneers of the district.
The town was named after a nearby farm of the same name that had been settled around 1896 and was renowned for bountiful crops and good grass. The townsite was proposed in 1910 when land in the area was being opened up, and as a watering spot for the planned Esperance to Norseman Railway, which was completed 15 years later. Although the area was already well known as "Grass Patch", locals sought a more suitable name for the town when it was gazetted in 1923. Of the three nominated, "Warden" was chosen. However, objections were soon raised about this name and later the same year it was changed back to Grass Patch.
|Address:||Coolgardie-Esperance Highway, Grass Patch, 6446|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.228242|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 18th October, 1997|
Saturday 18th October 1997.
This Memorial Was Erected
" In Recognition Of All The Pioneers
Hard Work And Spirit That
Contributed To The Development
Of This District"
Esperance Shire President
Mr Ian Mickel.