www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Butler`s SwampPrint Page Print this page

Memorial erected on 150th Anniversary of Western Australia to commemorate settler John Butler and also the settlement of military pensioners in 1850.

Location

Address:Davies Road, In reserve surrounding Lake Claremont, Claremont, 6010
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.977778
Long: 115.779167
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1850
Approx. Event End Date:1850
Monument Designer:Claremont Town Council

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1979
Front Inscription

BUTLER`S SWAMP RENAMED LAKE CLAREMONT 1955.

JOHN BUTLER ARRIVED IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA JANUARY 1830. PART OF THE SELECTION OF LAND WAS 250 ACRES AT FRESHWATER BAY COVERING MOST OF THE LAND KNOWN AS PEPPERMINT GROVE. THE FAMILY DEVELOPED A FARM IN THIS VICINITY AND ALSO CONDUCTED THE BUSH INN OR HALF-WAY HOUSE ON THE TRACK FROM FREMANTLE TO PERTH. THIS AREA WAS KNOWN AS BUTLER`S SWAMP BY ASSOCIATION WITH HIS LANDS AND FARMING ACTIVITY. IN 1850 THE COLONIAL OFFICE USED THE GOVERNMENT RESERVE KNOWN AS `BUTLER`S SWAMP` TO FORM A VILLAGE FOR MILITARY PENSIONERS. SEVENTEEN FAMILIES WERE SETTLED ON GRANTS OF 10 ACRES, EACH HAVING 1/2 ACRE ON FRESHWATER BAY AND 9 1/2 ACRES OF SWAMP LAND FOR CULTIVATION. THIS WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE FIRST COMMUNITY IN THIS DISTRICT. // THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY THE CLAREMONT TOWN COUNCIL ON THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDATION OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

Source: NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design