Pioneers of the Canning District & Mason`s Landing SitePrint Page
A monument commemorates the contributions of Benjamin Mason and other pioneers of the Canning district.
By 1866 Mason had constructed his own timber station and 100 men and their families were living in the area. In 1870 Mason formed a partnership with Francis Bird and it was this partnership which effectively opened up the Kalamunda area. By 1872 Mason and Bird had built their own horse drawn wooden railway line and timber was being transported from the mill, the 15 kilometres to the Canning River for shipment down to the port of Fremantle. It is still possible to see the site of the original timber station on Mason`s Mill Road, which runs off Canning Road at Carmel.
|Address:||Marriamup Street , Mason`s Landing Park, Cannington, 6107|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.024444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1963|
Site of the timber mill and landing established by Benjamin Mason, pioneer of the Jarrah timber industry in "The Canning" 1861.
From this landing, timber felled and drawn from the Darling Ranges was conveyed by barge to the Port of Fremantle for export.
To honour the pioneers of the Canning District
Their fortitude and endurance will forever be remembered