Australind Land SettlementPrint Page
Monument to the pioneers of the Australind Land Settlement.
Australind was the site of an unusual and ambitious land scheme during the 1840s. In 1840-41, only a little over a decade after the establishment of the Swan River colony, the newly formed Western Australian Land Company purchased land in the area and surveyed a town site which they named as a kind of bizarre combination of Australia and India. There was already a horse breeding station in the area and it was hoped that the horse trade would be the beginning of a continuing trade relationship between Australind and India.
The first settlers arrived in 1841 and by the following year over 440 immigrants had settled in the area Marshall Walter Clifton was appointed Chief Commissioner. The plan was to divide a huge land grant of over 40 000 ha into small farming lots of 40 ha and establish an English style village in the centre of this project. The philosophy behind the plan was similar to that of Edward Gibbon Wakefield who had developed the notion of settlements for ordinary citizens to ease the burden of poverty which characterised so much of English society at this time. In the case of Western Australia the settlement had the added bonus of providing the infant colony with a much needed labour force. The settlement was short-lived and had been abandoned by 1843.
A memorial to the pioneers of the Australind settlement, which has been erected from public subscriptions by the Western Australian Historical Society (Inc.) will be unveiled by His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor (Sir James Mitchell) on Saturday afternoon. The ceremony will begin at 3 p.m. The chairman of the Bunbury Road Board (Mr. F. Guthrie) will preside at the ceremony and a short paper on the history of the settlement will be read by Miss E. L. Burgess, of the Bunbury High School, who has made a close study of the subject.
The West Australian (Perth), 30th November 1938.
|Address:||Old Coast Road, Australind, 6233|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.273415|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1841|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1843|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd December, 1938|
The Australind Settlement (On Wakefield Principles) was formed in 1841 on the eastern side of Leschenault Inlet by the Western Australian Company. A town site of 1,000 acres was surveyed and the division of 100,000 acres into small farms was planned through causes beyond the control of settlers and despite the labours of the Chief Commissioner Marshall Waller Clifton F.R.S. the achievement fell short of the vision.
This memorial recalls the vision. Commemorates those hardy pioneers who continued to labour here in face of great difficulty and records the benefit Western Australia received from the coming settlers and officials in the ships.
Island Queen December 1840
Parkfield March 1841
Diadem April 1842
Trusty December 1842
Erected by public subscription and
The Western Australian Historical Society 1938.