Pioneers MemorialPrint Page
Monument commemorates the pioneers of Augusta. The memorial was erected in 1932 and dedicated in 1933.
The area was officially settled by Europeans in 1830 after the establishment of the Swan River Colony. New settlers who had arrived in Fremantle on the "Warrior" on 12th of March, 1830 were hoping to take up land near the Swan River Colony but, Lieutenant-Governor James Stirling, knowing that all of the fertile land had already been taken up, persuaded the settlers to move south, to an area near Cape Leeuwin. Captain Molloy, a small military detachment and about thirty settlers headed south and arrived in an area near the Blackwood River .
The site was named, Augusta, by James Stirling in May 1830, in honour of Princess Augusta Sophia, the second daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte.
On Saturday at 3 pm. the Premier (Sir James Mitchell) will dedicate memorials which have been erected at Augusta in honour of the pioneers of the district and of Colonel Molloy, who founded Augusta in 1830. The pioneers' memorial stands on the site of the cemetery used in Augusta's early days. It has been erected and will be maintained as a result of funds having been made available by the State Government, the Augusta-Margaret River Road Board and the Western Australian Historical Society. The column in memory of Colonel Molloy, provided by the Historical Society, has been placed where his house once stood.
The West Australia, 22nd February 1933.
|Address:||Osnaburg Street, Augusta, 6290|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.32715|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th February, 1933|
In memory of the pioneers of Augusta 1830.
Erected in 1932 by the State Government, the W.A. Historical Society and the Augusta-Margaret River Road Board.