www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Founding of Woomera VillagePrint Page Print this page

25-April-2014
25-April-2014

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans

A monument commemorates the foundation of Woomera in 1947.  

The monument depicts a ‘woomera’ bearing an orbiting satellite in the arc of a dish that represents the Island Lagoon deep space tracking antenna. The rocket acknowledges the original purpose of Woomera.

Woomera Village is a small, remote, Australian Defence Force (ADF) Base servicing the RAAF Woomera Test Range in the far north-west pastoral region of South Australia. The Range was first established in support of the Anglo-Australian Joint Project. This 'cold-war' project focussed on the development of long-range weapons systems, principally to counter the growing intercontinental ballistic missile threat from the former Soviet Union. The 'cold-war' heyday of the Range was 1947 to about 1972. In 1980 the Anglo-Australia Project was closed and the range itself saw little use until about 1991 when the RAAF's Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) took over the old instrumented range from Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO). Since that time, the RAAF has gradually assumed full control of the entire facility.

Location

Address:Dewrang Avenue, Woomera Theatre, Woomera, 5720
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.198817
Long: 136.825204
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 26th January, 1967
Front Inscription

This memorial was erected to commemorate the founding of the Woomera Village in November 1947.

The original survey mark was placed adjacent to this point

Unveiled Australia Day 1967

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design