Klemzig Pioneer Memorial GardenPrint Page
The Klemzig Pioneer Memorial Garden was erected to commemorate the Lutheran refugees who pioneered the establishment of Klemzig, the first ethnic village in South Australia.
The first group of 21 Lutherans arrived on the Bengalee on 18 November 1838 followed two days later by the main group on the Prince George. They arrived on 20 November with Pastor August Ludwig Christian Kavel who brought a much larger group of migrants to South Australia. They all came to escape religious persecution at home, and Kavel settled them at Klemzig, named after their home town in Prussia, with the help of George Fife Angas.
The people of Klemzig in Germany will remember those of Klemzig, South Australia, in a special broadcast arranged for Saturday, August 29. On that day His Excellency the Governor (Sir Winston Dugan) will unveil a memorial, which has been built in the cemetery, to the German pioneers who came from the village of Klemzig, in Brandenburg to South Australia under Pastor August Kavel in 1836. The monument, which is of Murray Bridge granite and is about seven feet in height, has been erected jointly by the German-Australian Centenary committee, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod and the United Evangelical Lutheran Church. It is expected that about 1,500 people will be present from the German-Australian community throughout the State.
Before the unveiling of the monument, the Governor and Lady Dugan will plant two trees at the entrance of the avenue leading to the cemetery reserve.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 20 August 1936.
|Address:||Spring Grove, Klemzig Memorial Gardens , Klemzig, 5087|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.883236|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||18-November-1838|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-November-1838|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 29th August, 1936|
This monument was erected to perpetuate the memory of the Lutheran pilgrim fathers who seeking religious freedom came to South Australia under the leadership of Pastor August Kavel on November 20 1838.
They settled here giving their village the name Klemzig after their old home in Germany. This ground was their God`s acre, where many were laid to their last rest.
Erected by the Lutherans of Australia and the German Australian Centenary Committee.
Unveiled by His Excellency The Governor of South Australia Sir Winston Dugan on August 29 1936