Keith Land Scheme MemorialPrint Page
Memorial to the land scheme funded by Australian Mutual Provident Society (AMP), which in 1950, funded the development of vast areas of bushland into farmland, resulting in a large growth period for Keith.
The AMP Memorial to this land development scheme consists of a Landrover on a pole and an original hut lived in by one of the families employed in the scheme.
|Address:||Dukes Highway & Ellis Street, Keith, 5267|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.100367|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th November, 1995|
This plaque recognises the foresight of the Australian Mutual Provident Society in establishing a land development scheme. In the 1940`s, scientists discovered that the key to bringing the Ninety Mile Desert into agricultural production lay in the application of trace elements to the soil. The AMP Society, realising the potential of this knowledge, began negotiations with the South Australian Government which led to the purchase of land in the upper south east. The pioneering spirit of the AMP Society and the work and dedication of the settlers brought this area into significant agricultural production. 26. 11. 1995