Naming of HahndorfPrint Page
A bust of Captain D. M. Hahn commemorates the naming of Hahndorf.
Hahndorf's history is connected to the arrival at Port Adelaide, on 28 December, 1838 of the 344 ton ship, Zebra, under the control of Captain Dirk Hahn. He was impressed by his passengers to such a point that upon their arrival in South Australia he was determined to help them. Although a Dane it is he who is honoured with his name being the basis of the town's name.
The ship was carrying 187 German immigrants. For a time the immigrants lived in tents at Port Adelaide then Hahn came to an agreement to rent 150 acres of land (this was the present site of Hahndorf) which would be divided up so there was 38 acres for living quarters and the rest for farming. Later the grant was expanded to 240 acres.
|Address:||Mount Barker Road, Pioneer Memorial Gardens, Hahndorf, 5245|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.027826|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th August, 1982|
DIRK MEINERTZ HAHN
1804 - 1860
Memorial To Commemorate
The Naming Of Hahndorf.
Bust Donated By
Otto Sames And His wife Anna
The Lieutenant Governor
Sir Condor Laucke K.C.M.G.
15th Aug. 1982