Eyre Highway Memorial -Lookout No 6Print Page
Memorial to the construction of the Eyre Highway.
The first formed road to join the two States was started in July 1941, a job that took six months and £250000 which was stimulated by the threat of Japanese invasion. The road was hastily constructed, the graders merely scouring the surface, and quickly deteriorated.
By 1959 eight cars were using the road each day, and for a time it was called either the Forrest Highway (the Prime Minister`s name for it in 1941) or the more traditional Eyre Highway. The road was sealed between Norseman and Perth by the late 1950s. By the 1960s`, there were still only 130 vehicles a day moving between Ceduna and Norseman. The Western Australian section had long been sealed; the South Australian section was sealed to Kimba in 1966, to Ceduna 15 months later, to Penong in 1973, and finally met the Western Australian road in September 1976, where a cairn decorated with two pairs of surveyor`s work boots commemorates the event.
|Address:||Eyre Highway, Lookout number 6, Border Village, 5690|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.65022|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.