Aldgate PumpPrint Page
A memorial commemorates the Aldgate Pump after which the town was named.
The Aldgate area was surveyed and subdivided into sections and allotments during 1857. It had become firmly established on 23 July 1864 when Richard Dixon Hawkins, son of a London publican, who had arrived in South Australia on the Lady Fitzherbert in 1842, opened his Inn. It began as a Coaching Inn on the way to the Echunga Diggings in 1852. To attract as many visitors and customers as possible Hawkins, placed a water pump outside the Inn so men and beast could have a drink.
|Address:||Mount Barker Road, Adjacent to Village Car Park, Aldgate, 5154|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.015205|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.