www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Pioneer MemorialPrint Page Print this page

26-November-2014
26-November-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

The Pioneer Memorial is a rendered brick rotunda which was erected on Big Hill in 1938 to honour the early residents of Stawell.

A Committee headed by the Mayor Cr. S P Freeland worked to raise sufficient money to build this very distinctive memorial on the crest of Big Hill. John Shirlow, who had some of his schooling in Stawell, designed the memorial. The Stawell Progress Association in 1947 presented the centre Directional Disc.

The Governor has intimated his acceptance of an invitation to visit Stawell and take part in the Home to Stawell celebrations, in October. He will arrive on Saturday, 5th October, attend the trooping of the color on the 6th, and will lay the foundation stone of a pioneer's memorial on Big Hill on 7th October.
The Age (Melbourne), 26 June 1935. 

The Stawell pioneers memorial, erected on the summit of Big Hill, at a cost of £500, overlooks the spot where the first quartz gold was discovered in 1856. Stawell was then known as The Reefs. The foundation stone was laid down by Lord Huntingfield on October 7, 1935.  On Saturday August 6, the Lieutenant Governor (Sir Frederick Mann) will perform the unveiling of the memorial. There are 73 residents of Stawell whose age is 70 years and over, and who have resided in the town for over sixty years. They will be introduced to Sir Frederick Mann and Lady Mann. A number of former Stawell residents rom Melbourne and other parts of the state will take part in the dedication ceremony.
Age (Melbourne), 3 August 1938.
 

Location

Address:Big Hill Road, Stawell, 3380
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.053602
Long: 142.787855
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 6th August, 1938
Front Inscription

Dedicated to the Pioneers
of Stawell and District
— By —
His Excellency
SIR FREDERICK WOLLASTON MANN
K.C.M.G.
Lieut. Governor of Victoria
August 6th 1938

Left Side Inscription

This Foundation Stone
Was Laid By HIS EXCELLENCY
LORD HUNTINGFIELD, K.C.M.G.
Governor of Victoria
October 7th 1935

Source: MA,VMR,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design