www.monumentaustralia.org.au

British ProclamationPrint Page Print this page

British Proclamation : 08-June-2012
British Proclamation : 08-June-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A monument commemorates the proclamation of Phillip Island as a British possession in 1826. 

In 1826, the scientific voyage of Dumont d'Urville, in command of the corvette Astrolabe, led to British concerns of an attempt by the French to establish a colony in Western Port. This saw the dispatch from Sydney of HMS Fly, under the command of Captain Wetherall, and the brigs Dragon and Amity, by Governor Darling.

While the French colonisation did not eventuate, Wetherall reported on finding a sealer's camp and also two acres of wheat and corn. A fort was constructed near Rhyll, and named Dumaresq after the Governor's private secretary. The 'abundance' of wood, quality soil and the discovery of coal at Cape Woolamai, were mentioned in newspaper accounts.Wetherall also erected a flag staff on 'the flat-top'd rock off Point Grant' (commonly known today as The Nobbies) on the Island's Western extremity as a marker for the harbour entrance.

Location

Address:Rhyll-Newhaven Road, Rhyll, 3923
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.463981
Long: 145.299403
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Actual Event STart Date:03-December-1826
Actual Event End Date:03-December-1826

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1973
Front Inscription

On This Hill
CAPTAIN WEATHERALL
     And
CAPTAIN WRIGHT
Proclaimed Phillip Island
A British Possession In The
Name Of The Crown
December 3rd 1826

Erected By The Phillip Island And
District Historical Society 1973

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design