Big LizziePrint Page
A tractor commmemorates the largest soldier settlement in Australia and the tractor which cleared the land.
Big Lizzie’ was an enormous tractor used to clear vast expanses of land around the river at the Red Cliffs soldier settlement. It was constructed by Frank Bottrill and it was employed by the government to do land-clearing, virtually clearing all of Red Cliffs, and it was capable of clearing up to 50 acres in a day
|Address:||Calder Highway & Jamieson Avenue, Barklay Square War Memorial Park, Red Cliffs, 3496|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.30817|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
Big Lizzie & her 1 remaining trailer were purchased by the people of Redcliifs as a fitting tribute to our pioneers in whose memory we celebrate 50 years of progress at Redcliffs
Big Lizzie was the brainchild of Mr. FRank Bettrill who aided by the foundry of A. H. McDonald of Richmond, commenced making the machine in 1914 and completed it in 1915. The machine with 2 wagons each 30` length set out from Melbourne in 1916 intending to cart wool from outback stations in the Broken Hill area. The crossing of the Murray was too hazardous so the machine & trailers were used for carting wheat in the Merbein area, one such load was 899 bags.
In 1920 Big Lizzie was commissioned by the Victorian Govt to clear trees and scrub in what was to be the largest soldier settlement in Australia - Red Cliffs.
In 1925 Big Lizzie was moved off and this journey to the Balmoral area was the last great trek. She lay on a station property, Glendenning, for some years - rusted, worn but proud.
Big Lizzie 34 ft. Lenght 11ft. Wide
18ft. high - 60 HP. Single Cyl.
Crude oil engine weighing 8 tons - total weight 45 tons.
Normal travelling speed 1 m.p.h.
Turning radius 200 feeet.
Big Lizzie was moved to her final resting place by Mr. A. Hillgrove contractor of Birchip using a low loader.